Friday, May 22, 2009

12 Times the Lines

The damn SQLite database just won't load!  It saves the file fine and I can look at it in a standalone editor...but can the program open the file?  No way. RAWR.

1 hour later...
CRAP.  I had already fopen'ed the file and was trying to re-open it with SQLite.  That was pretty dumb.  Still, if it isn't one thing its another--now the loader is very slow.  *fixing*

1 pm
Almost fixed!  :D  Also, here's a good article I read on the Netflix movie-prediction competition while my code was compiling.  Five minutes later, still compiling.  Read an article on how silicon chips are made.

Ah!  I forgot I had not updated the 3-things-I'm-doing post.  Well, I guess it didn't change much:

1.  (Still) changing editor save format
2. Bugs
3. Map tool

3 pm
The performance of the loader is still sucking pretty bad.  The problem is that since the file isn't linear anymore, all of the resources must be looked up by name when they are loaded.  That's a TON of string comparisons.  I think I've found a way around the problem by saving an "index hint" in the record that should allow correctly-saved resources to completely shortcut the comparison, but we'll see what happens...

4pm
I've downloaded the Visual Studio standalone command-line profiler and found this awesome walkthrough because this is just getting silly.  I have to say that the profiler works GREAT.  Unfortunately it told me what I suspected, that the SQLite database is being dumb.  Trying some optimizations.

If only I still had milk so I could drink coffee...and sleep more.  My brain's a bit fuzzy today and I feel like I've been hammering at a problem for a second day that should have taken me only a few hours.

No comments: